Thursday, January 29, 2015

My Life Has A Mind Of It's Own



During a routine cleaning last May, my dentist informed me that I had a cavity and that he couldn't fill it until I got my wisdom teeth out. He didn't seem like he was in any hurry to fill that bad boy and I certainly wasn't in any hurry to deal with that. Especially since I never really had any issues with them. Fast forward to exactly three weeks ago from today. My wisdom teeth had started hurting some and I knew that I had put off getting them out and getting that cavity filled for long enough, plus I had high hopes that one of the thirty jobs I applied for would call me soon and I didn't want the surgery to interfere with any possible job opportunities. So, I made an appointment with the oral surgeon. 

The consultation went great. He explained everything so well and really calmed all the jitters I had previously. He said that everything looked normal and that it would be a pretty easy surgery for him. I happily made my appointment to have all four teeth removed for the first week of February and started planning. 

I have this overwhelming, crazy need for everything in my life to be planned. It brings me a great deal of comfort and joy when I plan. So, of course, to ease my post-appointment nerves, I started planning for when I'd be recovering. My boyfriend was going to lend me his xbox (such a sweet soul!), so that I would be able to watch Netflix on my tv and use my iPad for pinterest and farmville and online shopping. My mom and I had planned on going to the grocery store the weekend before and stocking up on all things soft for me to eat. I was planning on spoiling myself on payday with some new yogas or jammie pants to live in post-surgery. I had even gone as far as to write in my planner when I should start my antibiotic and mouth rinse pre-surgery to achieve the best results after. 

On Thursday, exactly one week after my consultation, my mouth started hurting again. But this was a pain not even my BFF tylenol could handle. I spent the next five days in the worst pain of my life, throwing up, sleeping for hours, and wondering why my left jaw was starting to swell. My mom called the oral surgeon's office on Tuesday after the holiday and explained my symptoms. They scheduled me for an emergency wisdom teeth extraction the next morning at 7:45. 

I spent the rest of the day running around filling prescriptions, washing my old yogas and every oversized comfy shirt that would fit over my chipmunk cheeks, cleaning my room, and trying to get any sort of nutrient to stay in my stomach. When I got to the surgeon's office the next morning, he told me that I had a bad infection in my wisdom tooth and he was pretty amazed that it had popped up so intensely and so quickly. 

The surgery went perfect! I didn't feel a thing when they were doing the procedure and he applauded me on being such a calm and relaxed patient (shocking!). I only embarrassed myself slightly while I was drugged up when I couldn't think of his name, so I said "Thank you for such a well-done job, Dr. Harry Potter." Oh, and there was him warning me that the alcohol wipe on my arm might be chilly and me responding by saying "The cold never bothered me anyway." And then me explaining to the nurse that Frozen is my absolute favorite movie, which... it is... but at 23, I don't need to be bragging about that. 

I had an excellent recovery. Seriously so painless and so easy! If I would have known that it would have been this easy, I wouldn't have waited so long. Monday night as I did my nightly routine of loving on my doggy and saying my prayers, I kind of had an epiphany. What if God gave me that infection so that I would have to move my appointment up and be available the first week of February  to start a new job or at least have an interview? I mentally high-fived God and told him "good looking out". 

The next day, I got a call asking me to come in on Friday for an interview for my dream job. 



I love the way life just works out sometimes. Whether you believe that God is always working for us or if you believe in fate or that everything happens for a reason, I think we can all agree that life is a pretty extraordinary thing. No matter how much planning and preparing we can do, we'll never be prepared for the curve balls ahead. But it's a pretty great feeling when we knock those balls out of the ballpark. 

xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment