Friday, January 2, 2015

New Year, New.... Life?

As far back as I can remember, I've always loved New Year's Eve. Something about all of the glamorous clothes, champagne, and people's sudden drive to better themselves just really makes my heart happy. Of course, I fit into that group, too. I often make resolutions and try really hard to keep up with them and mostly fail by January 3rd. My focus is usually shifted to seeing those gal pals one last time before we all head back to school or running a million errands with my mom and I simply forget to do my 100 squats a day or that I'm not supposed to be eating anything from the center of the grocery store. But this year is different. As all my college friends start gearing up for the spring semester, I'm just sitting here. I keep getting the urgent panic thinking "oh, shoot! I need to order my textbooks!" or  "ugh! Only 10 more days of break." Then it hits me. This isn't winter break. This is life. 

I haven't quite decided if I envy those friends of mine or pity them. I know soon I'll get a call for an interview and land the job of my dreams and I'll have a new routine and college will be so irrelevant to me. But right now, it's hitting me that I am officially a grown up and that is scary.  But no matter what situation I'm in, I always find the silver lining and this time the silver lining is me. 

As I graduated college, I finished a chapter to my book. Now I get to decide what my next pages say. I have the opportunity to revamp my life and better myself into the person I want to be. And how lucky am I to have the rest of my life start with a new year. I know that this year will be a huge year for me. Something in my soul just is telling me that 2015 is my year. Who knows what that will actually mean but I am excited to see what's in store for me these next 12 months. 

Just like every year past, I came up with a list of resolutions. This year, though, I'm trying to focus on experiences rather than things. 

1. Join a gym. 
2. Organize more. 
3. Save up for and take a vacation. 
4. Run a 5k. 
5. Spend more time with family & friends.
6. Take more pictures. 
7. Live healthy and happy. 
8. Strengthen my relationship with God. 

My resolutions aren't huge, life changing goals, but I think that these things will help me in bettering my life all around and starting this next chapter off on the right foot. I hope you'll join me on my journey and stick around to see what alumni life has in store for me in 2015. Wishing you and yours a happy and safe new year!

xx




1 comments:

  1. Great post! My goals for the year just have to do with living healthy and happy like you said. I think if I give myself choices and focus on choosing the right things it will help me feel more empowered rather than limited...like I normally feel with resolutions :) well said!

    ReplyDelete